When you first started?

Training and Work specific to the farm and ranch. Or brag about what you and your dog were able to accomplish today

Re: When you first started?

Postby rnnbingham on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 am

Be patient and to trust my dog. As an open handler, this is something that I still struggle with! I think that raising a couple of kids has helped me in this area as well :-) Sometimes, the best thing to do is to just shut up and let them (dogs/kids) see the consequences of their actions.
rnnbingham

Postby dannyboy on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:43 am

You guys are good!!! Those responses could be "the" Compendium for good stock dog training!
dannyboy

Postby Tea on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 am

For me I think Trust the dog stands out in a big way. I like what iz said!
Tea

Postby Tea on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 am

One other thing I like is look at the stock as they by their actions and peace will tell you howe the dog and you are doing.
Tea

Postby LizJ on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Dogs can hear much better than you.
LizJ

Postby devildog on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:59 am

I have had alot of people tell me that I was too loud or I couldnt read stock. No one ever told me to watch the stock and trust my dog. I tried that and wow! it worked. Now all I need to do is try to become a better handler so my dog doesnt have to fix all my mistakes. If I didnt have a dog that could think on her own and also take direction I would be in alot of train wrecks. I have found that when you find the right person to help you whether or not its an answer over the phone or a lesson in person, it's amazing the difference you see in your work.
devildog

Return to Farm / Ranch Work