Culling

Forum rules
be polite

Culling

Postby dannyboy on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:33 am

Hi everyone
I have a small flock and for the first time saw some serious worm issues this year, from what I hear not unlike many others. I lost one ewe lamb and then vigorously attacked the issue with the others (did fecal analysis, and subsequently treated for Cocccidia and BP worm). I changed wormer, and dosed them according to vet advice (which was higher than label). I've got one ewe lamb who is still what I would term "runty". I checked her eye lids again, and although not as bad as they could be, they were not great. I am frankly "done" with trying to get her up to speed. I know it sounds terse, but I simply can't afford to keep getting this ne'er do well to come around the corner. Saw diarrhea on her butt the other day, which could be from the rich hay they are getting, but no one else has this. So, I am sending her down the road. What do you all rate your culling on? Do you put a bit of effort in, and then be done with it, if not better in a prescribed amount of time, or do you keep working on it depending on various factors?
dannyboy

Re: Culling

Postby coyotecreek on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:59 pm

I also agree with Denice...

I think if you give it an honest, good try..and still doesnt yield results..its time to move down the road.

I also take the approach of, because I dont run 100's of ewes..of giving animals the benefit of the doubt. Had a maiden ewe this year who I had to pull on..and then she got mastitis..I truly dont know if the half affected will be functional or not..so, while having to pull on a ewe isnt a reason for me to cull right away (I was prepared to give her another lambing), the potentially damaged half is concerning to me..I need to decide within the next few months what Im going to do with her.

We cant save them all and some animals are just looking to die or be a burden.
coyotecreek

Return to Livestock