Purchasing Lambs in the Spring

Forum rules
be polite

Purchasing Lambs in the Spring

Postby Robin on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi,

Planning on getting a few lambs in the spring. How long after they are born can I plan on taking them ?

I will not be taking the ewes.

Just trying to get a time line.

The breeder will let me know when the lambs are coming.

Any advice for the lambs coming will ne greatly appreciated.
Robin

Re: Purchasing Lambs in the Spring

Postby coyotecreek on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Talk to the breeder and find out when they normally wean and go from there..some wean at 2-3 months..while others wait later. Ive weaned at 2 and Ive weaned at 4..I, personally, base it off of the individual lamb and how well they are progressing and growing. no earlier then 2 months, IMO.
coyotecreek

Postby coyotecreek on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 pm

curious if those who wean at the four month mark often experience ram lambs attempting (and succeeding) at breeding by waiting til that age?
coyotecreek

Postby coyotecreek on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:08 pm

I was curious..we raise registered sheep, so we do keep some lambs intact to see how they finish out, if they will make good rams or good wethers...Ive seen 3 month old rams trying to (and even succeeding) at breeding ewes, so I am always alittle wary of this fact.

I know Ive not experienced super stressed lambs weaning at even 2 months, provided they were ready..sometimes one of the older, calmer wethers can help settle anything that is more upset then normal too..a buddy of sorts.

different strokes I guess.
coyotecreek

Return to Livestock