Hello

Introduce yourself here :-)

Re: Hello

Postby dannyboy on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi everyone:
First, Liz, thanks for all your hard work at the Big E- it would not have gone as smooth as it did if you were not there! I am Julie, I have a tiny flock in the Hudson Valley NY. They live on my brother's 80 acre farm. It's been an investment in time and money that I do not regret. I have not had Border Collies long at all, but have had Kelpies since 2000. I work full time when I am not with my sheep and dogs.
dannyboy

Postby Tea on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 am

Hi, I am Tea, T Yamamoto. Thanks for putting up this forum! My husband and I farm on an island in Puget Sound. We forage stock loose on horseback with stock dogs. We have cattle, goats, sheep and do USDA grass based meat. But we process everything and also have a small wool mill. We also run a wildlife rehab and education facility.
Tea

Postby Tea on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:40 am

Ok Where shall I post my poems?
Tea

Postby LizJ on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi I'm Liz Janoski from northeastern Pennsylvania, a long time Bordie Collie owner and very new handler. I never realized "Liz" was such a popular name - I'm the only one I know; until now of course!

We'd always had rescue dogs (and still do have one) - several years ago we took the plunge and got pups from a working line. My young dogs and I have been learning together - not the best combination for quick results, but we're getting someplace this year I think. I have a small flock of 8 sheep, a mix of breeds - Clun Forest x Tunis and four Shetlands. I am selling the yarn at a local mercantile. My goal is to use the dogs to move the sheep around various pastures for daily grazing then bring them back to a night lot by the barn- not a lofty goal, but a doable one.
LizJ

Postby Lane Campbell on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi, I'm Lane and live in south central Louisiana. I run a stocker cattle operation, manage a feedmill, and do some nutrition
work. After college I managed dairy operations in south Mississippi and north Louisiana and a beef cow/calf operation in
east Texas. After spending years working for others I decided it might be better to work for myself. For about 20 years I have been buying 3-4 wt. calves at several local sales, work them, straighten them out, put on about 400#'s and market in 50,000#
loads. I also run about 50 ewes (hair sheep) to graze behind the calves.

My dogs have to "dog-break" calves weekly and work calves daily. They also move my sheep onto pasture and back into their
nite pen. About 4 or 5 times a year I attend cowdog trials. I keep about 5 dogs- usually one simi-retired, a couple working, and
a couple I am training on. I have had dogs for about 40 years and have tried several breeds, but my dog of choice is a Border
Collie. I expect a lot out of my dogs as I usually work cattle alone, typically in groups of from 1 to 200 head, and living in
Louisiana we see a lot of heat, mud, and other things that can be hard on a dog. Unlike what a lot of folks think, my trained
dogs don't bite unless I ask them to, and there are only 2 places to bite a cow (end of nose, below rear hocks). I expect my
dogs to have a "turn-off" switch. I pay close attention to breeding and bloodlines, but I think getting and making a really good
dog is still a "crapshoot". I have never had a perfect dog, but I'm still looking.
Lane Campbell

Postby DeltaBluezTess on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Howdy all,

I am Diane Pagel of DeltaBluez Stockdogs. I live in Carnation, WA, near Seattle. I have 10 acres and lease 25 more. I have about 50 sheep and 10 Border Collies and LGD. I also have other livestock.

Thanks for setting this up
Diane
DeltaBluezTess

Postby Pam Wolf on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Pam Wolf here. I've had Border Collies since 1979 and been in love with them for a longer time. We have a small farm in northeastern, KS. We run about 60 grade Northcountry ewes, a handful fo meat goats , a couple of cows and a horse or two.
Pam Wolf

Postby rodney757 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:02 am

RJ here. Just getting into using stock dogs. Work on a ranch with 200 ewes expanding to 500 in the coming years, and 120 hd cattle. Currently looking for a started dog that I can use to move sheep and possibly cattle and to continue training the dog. Maybe will do some trails in the future, but my main goal is to have a good ranch dog.
rodney757

Postby hazelhill on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi everyone
My name is Stacey. My husband & I have a 200 ewe flock in Quebec near the NY state border. I currently have 5 border collies and I cannot imagine trying to be a sheep farmer without my dogs!!
I love the day to day work on the farm but I am also interested in trialling, I am a newbie to the competition side of things so I am on a very steep learning curve right now.
Its going to be great to be able to discuss things with like-minded people
Thanks
Stacey
Hazel Hill Farm
hazelhill

Postby Robin on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello Everyone.

My name is Robin and I have a small farm also in the Hudson Valley, NY. I have two horses, a chocolate Lab and a 14 month old Border Collie who has rocked my world. I am looking for a small flock of sheep for wool and training. Narrowed my search to a few breeders in the area. Looking for a spring purchase.
The adventure begins. :D
Robin

Postby dannyboy on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Robin

We must be neighbors- my farm is in Rhinebeck NY. Are you training your BC now?
dannyboy

Postby coyotecreek on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for creating another internet avenue for stockdog euthusiasts!

I am Sarah and live in northern Texas. We used to raise Quarter Horses and Paint Horses, I then got my 2 border collies (who are 4 years old now), which led to me getting some sheep to work them on, which led to me building a flock and raising registered and commercial dorper sheep! :D Additionaly, we raise some cattle and still have afew quarter horses and chincoteague ponies.

I had blue heelers before I got my border collies, so I am learning alot about how they work and function. My one BC, Fletcher, has mastered and advanced more then my other..and I hope to one day trial him. We are still aways off from there, but I enjoy him alot and also enjoy the training process, which is a daily occurence on our place.

Sarah
coyotecreek

Postby ThreeT on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22 am

Hello from south central Illinois. I have owned a BC for about 24 hours now and I never new my world could be turned upside down so fast.(stories to come) I run around 20 ewes,a few cows, a pack of 5 coyote dogs, 1 coonhound and a team of Haflingers. Last and not least have a great wife of 27 years that puts up with me and my hair brain ideas.LOL

Tim
PS..... and Maggie the Jack Russell house dog who taught me that running around like your pants are on fire getting nothing done makes you just as tired as working.
ThreeT

Return to Introduction